Sunday, August 19, 2007

Time in New England... Took Me Away...

Well... ok, for a few hours at least. One of the great things about my job is the staggering amount of paid time off I get. So Friday and Saturday I was able to take the day and spend some time with friends in upstate NY and, MOST importantly - go to Williamstown, MA to see Raul Esparza as the Stage Manager in a reading of " Our Town". He was great and took the part in a much more congenial and playful direction than other productions. It was very well done. The actors assembled for the production were fantastic.

It was a really busy weekend!


The drive up was a little frustrating early on because of construction, but I had a great stress relieving laugh at the rest stop. It was the type of ladies room where the ventilation system was very old, loud and noisy. I had just walked in when an older woman with a very pronounced Long Island accent proceded to proclaim.... "Oh... I'm so glad it's not quiet in here, this way I can pass gas and no one will hear". Yeah... saying it that loudly sort of defeats the purpose of your thought....


While driving back, my eye was drawn to a small grassy patch about 20 feet from the road. There were about 6 or 7 moving lumps - I thought they were gophers or something similar, but it turns out they were wild turkeys. I hadn't seen them since I lived up in the area. When I got home, I made sure the cats and the fish were fed - and then I was off again!

I am very proud of my cousin. She is a very bright young woman from California who received a full scholarship from George Washington University, and she was visiting her aunt (my cousin) before she went down to DC - so I drove and hour and a half to see her. WELL worth the trip - she is wonderful.


I figured this was a good opportunity to see the parents - so we went to dinner and a movie. I got home around midnight (my day started FRIDAY at 6am !!) and promptly passed out.


Today, after some major house cleaning/re-arranging AND baking some goodies for friends - I had the pleasure of going with said friends to see the closing performance of Luisa Strus' one woman show. It was part of the Fringe Festival. She was incredibly engaging as she recounted parts of hers, and her parent's lives. She is definitely one to watch!


Even though weekends like this physically tire the hell out of me .... I know that life is too short and you have to push yourself as long as you can and make the most of it.

No comments: