Tuesday, April 17, 2007

High Tide

The rain Sunday into Monday was of biblical proportions.

I went to work on Sunday for a few hours since there was a major event there that I had to finish coordinating. The weather was not so awful at that point, BUT the fact that I had to go to my office.... not that fun. By the time I got home - it was starting to get rough. Since I was not about to go out again without an ark, I was consumed for the rest of the day with my SIMS and their lives :-)

So yesterday, Monday morning, I got up as usual to start my day but discovered there was no hot water. *sigh*... you deal with it. As I leave the house, the rain was not as bad as it was Sunday night - but it was still a bit ugly. The traffic was very light... that should have been my first clue. I pass 3 schools on my way to work and usually there are buses and backups at the lights - there were none. I make the turn into my parking lot and...... it was empty. At that moment, my phone vibrates telling me I had a new voicemail message. I knew what it was going to say. ... but I listened anyway. The school was closed because of flooding (the call was made at 6:45 but didn't come through until 8:10).

I turn around - go home - made coffee and once again entered the lives of my SIMS - then I saw the horrific news of the massacre at Virgina Tech. I stared at the TV with utter disbelief and a broken heart for the students, their families and the community - and realized that my minor inconveniences over the past two days were positively insignificant in comparison. Most things are. This act was incomprehensible.


Last evening made up for the dreary past two days. I attended Seth Rudetsky's Broadway 101. What a wonderful evening of song, dance and Seth's hilarious deconstructing of Broadway shows. My next entry will be about it. It deserves its own highlight.

Right now, I am home.... sick and it looks like a nap is in the very near future.

No comments: