Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Life - When It's Time To Let Go

Over the next few days I will be dealing with the emminent death of my grandmother. It has given me a lot to think about in regards to modern medicine, technology and the decisions we make in regards to extension of life. She is almost 93 , has lost all quality of life and is going to hospice tomorrow so that she can let go as comfortable and peacefully as possible without all the meds and feedings she has been given. At this point they are ineffective and are actually doing more harm than good for her. Hospice was a very hard yet easy decision to make... if that makes sense. Easy in the sense that it is the logical thing to do at this stage, yet so difficult because for my father, it means it really is the last few days he will have with his mother.

A very strange coincidence with all of this. The doctor estimated given the circumstances, that she will probably pass away on the 10th . My aunt, her daughter... passed away on March 10th, 4 years ago. My grandmother never knew of her death which would make that date very cosmic indeed.

No comments: