Sunday, February 25, 2007

Get Fresh With Me

"They" are right - We become our mothers - I see small pieces of evidence of that everyday in myself and other women.... (and some men!).

Yesterday, I stopped at Dunkin' Donuts before running errands and had the following experience:

When I walked in I saw that I was "next". George Carlin was right - there is no better feeling than knowing you are next. In front of me was an adorable teeny tiny, very smartly dressed, Jewish woman around 80 years old, who was just about to place her order.

Young woman behind the counter (YW): "May I help you - what would you like?"
Teeny tiny old woman (OW): "Can I have a small coffee with milk and 1 sugar?"

YW: "Of course - would you like anything to go with that?"
OW: "I think so, let me see" (rifles through her purse and pulls out a fistful of coupons and begins to slowly pick through them to find the one she wants) "Oh good! I'll have a croissant."

At this point, I hear a small laugh behind me. I turn around and there is a middle aged woman in back of me... starting to giggle.

YW: "Would you like that toasted?"
OW: Why?!? Is it stale?
YW: "No, just that some people like them toasted."
OW: "Well now I don't want one, you have me thinking they are stale."
YW: "They are not stale, they were just made."
OW: " Well, I changed my mind and I want a corn muffin - if they aren't stale like the croissants.
YW: " They aren't stale, I promise"
OW: "Ok - thank you dear"

(Giggling still in back of me - which starts to make me laugh also and I turn around again)

Middle aged woman to me: "My mother died 5 years ago - I want to know who reincarnated her as another old woman? Next thing you know, she's going to want to write a check for it. I have to laugh, I've already started doing the coupon thing she use to do like that woman. It's inevitable... we become our mothers."

It made me think - In my case... I hope so.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me giggle. Now I want a stale croissant.